Philip Milks is an attorney and was formerly employed by the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) and Remington Outdoor Company (ROC). While at Remington, Phil served his executive peers as the leader of ROCs corporate compliance function which included ATF, Import, and Export (ITAR and EAR). Phil played a key role in advising ROC and its subcontract manufacturers in the development of ammunition, suppressors, polymer pistols, modern sporting rifles, and imported shotguns. Phil gained relevant legal and regulatory experience facilitating the acquisition of manufacturing entities, the move of major manufacturing facilities to the southern United States and implementing SAP as a leading ERP system. Phil had numerous professional interactions with national and local ATF leadership and responded to a multitude of high volume serial number ATF inspections.
- Executive regulatory strategy pertaining to firearms and ammunition
- Firearms manufacturing and assembly operations and supply chain management
- ATF manufacturing, import, and distribution practices
- Firearm facility relocations and M&A / due diligence
- Electronic A&D design, analysis, implementation, and continuous improvement
- Firearms Technology (ERP, WMS)
Firearms Regulatory Expertise:
- Gun Control Act
- National Firearms Act (including Suppressors)
- State and Local Firearms Acts and Regulations
- ATF Rulings and Open Letters
- Arms Export Control Act & Int’l Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR)
- Export Administration Act & Export Administration Regulations (EAR)
- Director of Compliance, Remington Outdoor Company
- National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF)
Notable Accomplishments and Roles:
- Co-developed one of the nation’s largest firearm ERP systems and designed the ATF, Import, and Export SAP requirements.
- Modernized the suppressor manufacturing and NFA form filing process.
- Represented numerous firearm manufacturing and distribution facilities that were inspected against handgun, long gun, NFA / suppressor regulations.
- Wrote and submitted numerous ATF variance requests and facilitated all firearm compliance matters across the Company’s subcontract manufacturing base.
- Closed and opened a number of Federal Firearms Licenses and Special Occupational Tax (SOT) as part of the company’s evolving business structure.
- Negotiated release of millions of dollars of inventory from CBP withholding following threatened seizure.